Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3
True Balanced, Dual Mono & Fully Discrete Audiophile Phono Preamplifier
At Pro-Ject, balanced connections were previously reserved exclusively for the RS product line. The Phono Box DS3 B model offers many of the high-end features of the Phono Box RS2 at an affordable price, in proven Pro-Ject quality. Among other things, our new True Balanced Connection.
High-end features and unique setting options
The Phono Box DS3 B has a steel chassis flanked by aluminum panels. This construction provides very high rigidity and isolation from interference, which is essential for the new technology inside. Magnetic wooden side panels are available separately as accessories. Two turntables can be connected simultaneously - all parameters for each input are stored. You can precisely adapt the Phono Box DS3 B to a wide range of cartridges. Load impedance can be continuously adjusted via a potentiometer, a system invented by Pro-Ject Audio Systems to adjust impedance during playback and assess the effects of different load options in real time. No other manufacturer implements this feature so elegantly!
Cartridges are naturally balanced signal converters! Due to the internal design of MM cartridges, you need an MC cartridge to tap the entire balanced signal. Together with our new True Balanced Connection cables, you can access high-end features that were previously only available on the most expensive phono stages. Best of all, any Pro-Ject turntable with RCA, mini XLR or 5P output can do it!
THE TECHNOLOGY IN DEPTH
The Phono Box DS3 B features a true, fully balanced gain stage. Whether you use a standard RCA or balanced connection, the fully balanced gain stage can optimize the signal-to-noise ratio in either case and provide the cleanest signal to the fully passive and discrete RIAA equalization stage. The fully split passive equalization allows for better impedance matching and less deviation from the ideal RIAA curve. The circuits of the Phono Box DS3 B are completely discrete. A discrete circuit consists of individual electronic components, also known as discrete components. Years of experience have proven that even the best operational amplifiers cannot match the neutral, natural, dynamic and lively presentation of discrete circuits.
TRUE BALANCED CONNECTION
The balanced design is the main feature! Connect your turntable via the 5-pin mini XLR cable or standard XLR cable and enjoy the benefits of our new True Balanced Connection. A truly balanced amplification stage can extract the smallest musical information and effectively filters out noise coming from our modern homes (household appliances, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, power cables, power amplifiers).
- Input impedance:Stepless 10-1k ohm or fixed 47kOhm
- Input capacitance:50, 150, 300, 400 pF
- Gain (+ 6dB with XLR Out): 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 dB
- SNR MM (40dB): 104dBV, 111dBV - 'A' weighted
- SNR MC (40dB): 85dBV, 91dBV - 'A' weighted
- THD at 1 kHz: <0.001% MM, < 0.004% MC
- THD (20Hz-20kHz): <0.005% MM, < 0.01% MC
- RIAA equalization: < 0.25dB / 20Hz - 20kHz
- Subsonic filter: at 20Hz with 18dB/octave
- Inputs: 1x 5-pin mini XLR / 1x pair XLR / 1x pair RCA
- Outputs: 1 pair RCA, 1x pair XLR
- XLR pin assignment: 1 ground, 2 hot and 3 cold
- Trigger In/Out:12V on/off detector
- External power supply: 18V/500mA DC
- Power consumption: 18V/max. 290mA DC, <0.5 W standby
- Dimensions WxHxD: 206x72x194 (205 with sockets) mm
- Weight: 1480g without power supply